Ahead of the new season, Tennis Europe has unveiled the new calendar, and an interesting range of innovations, including the introduction of a new ‘Super Category’ for 14 & Under tournaments which will further enhance the 14 & Under Circuit in 2020.
Five of the Tour’s most prestigious tournaments have been upgraded from Category 1 to Super Category status. This is a reflection of the extraordinary efforts and performances for these events. Players at Super Category tournaments will earn more ranking points and look forward to extra services and hospitality benefits.
Tennis Europe announced last week that Kungens Kanna & Drottningens Pris, which is run by the Swedish Tennis Association and The Royal Lawn Tennis Club, has been promoted to the new category as of 2020.
– It is exciting news, which shows that Swedish Tennis’s heritage and history still prove to be of great importance in regards to international Tennis. Well done to the tournament organizers and our partner KLTK, Secretary-General of the Swedish Tennis Association, Christer Sjöö, comments.
– On behalf of the tournament committee, we are thrilled and proud of being nominated for the Super Category. Hard work from everyone involved has finally paid off and has made a strong tennis statement throughout Europe, Tournament Director Joe Beaton comments on the news.
The tournaments beside Stockholm promoted to Super Category status in 2020 are:
- Christmas Cup, Khimki (Moscow), Russia, December 30th – January 5th.
- Les Petits As, Tarbes, France, January 27th – 2 February 2nd.
- Taça Internacional, Maia, Portugal, March 30th – 5 April 5th.
- Internationale Deutsche Tennismeisterschaften, Dueren, Germany, 27 July 27th – August 2nd.
Kungens Kanna was held for the first time in 1901 and Drottningens Pris was introduced in 1950.